Creating Holiday Meals and Memories Seniors Will Love
Making the holidays special for seniors can involve such simple things as spending time together and cooking a special meal or two. The magic of the holiday season doesn’t necessarily wear away with age. Seniors get nostalgic during the holidays, and many still want to celebrate.
Nostalgia also has a powerful effect on seniors. By making the holidays special for them, you can improve their quality of life.
How to Make Holiday Memories
So much of the holiday season is about reminiscing, reflecting, and togetherness. For seniors, this can be a challenge due to memory issues, health concerns, or family members living far away. You can sweeten the season by intentionally spreading holiday cheer and making memories.
- Softly play holiday music, including songs that were popular in past decades
- Create a holiday craft with a senior or help them select/make gifts for loved ones
- Look through old photo albums and reminisce with seniors as they share stories
- Plan to attend an event like a holiday concert, pageant, game night, or festival
- Take a drive to see holiday lights and décor