How to Help a Senior’s Caregiving Team Work Together
Many seniors rely on the care and support of multiple people. This type of community is important, but can also be a problem if everyone isn’t working in sync. Use these strategies to work as a team.
Why It’s Important to Stay in Sync
Excellent caregiving can reduce some of the risks seniors face, but if a caregiving team is out of sync, risks can actually increase:
- Medications can get mixed up
- Stress levels can increase
- Lapses in scheduling
- Uncertainty about what tasks were completed
- Missed appointments
- Unnoticed symptoms
Ways to Coordinate Care as a Team
Working together to help a senior enjoy life in their own home safely requires organization. Use these tips to coordinate care effectively:
- Hold regular meetings
- Agree on communication guidelines like:
- What are the best times for updates?
- When is the best time to regularly check in about upcoming needs?
- Who should be contacted first if there is an emergency?
- Who is authorized to make what kinds of decisions?
- Post these communication guidelines so all caregivers can see them
- Leave an emergency guide and kit for all caregivers to access
One of the most important ways to stay organized is to use an app. Care agencies sometimes offer apps or other tools for communication.